Monday, December 1, 2008

Myopia and still wana be cool

There are so many million people who have a corrected vision from childhood and I am one of those. When I first started wearing my spectacles, all I would attempt for is to try removing my spectacles at the first possible go. I was constantly monitored by my parents to wear my specs. This was in 4th class when I was hardly 10 years old. As time passed, I slowly started feeling at ease.

I have a cousin who used to wear a new spectacle every month or may be even every week as he used to break his spectacles more often than anyone in this world would break. I used to feel so jealous for the fact that he got a new spectacle every month. I was so innocent or may be so dumb that I did not realize it is so effortless to break a spectacle when you are not in anyone’s vision. Even i could have had a new piece every month.

The next stage is when I started wearing a glass which is termed “day night glass” which used to turn brown when under sunlight. I was under a truly false impression that it was looking cool on me. Now I realize that I looked like one nut case when I was wearing that. This was when I used to wear a plastic or a carbon coated frame. The carbon coated frame is even funnier. It neither looked brown, or orange or red. Its one really stupid color. Thank God I stopped wearing these plastic frames.

The next funny stage was when I moved into metal frames. I can never imagine a metal silver colored frame with a so called “Day-night glass”. Don’t even try to imagine how it would look. It looked comical. This one had a spring on the side and all it is used for is for better flexibility. I was so excited about that. Just think how stupid I must have been.

Now I transform into a stage where I stopped trying something new. I would rather go in for something which looked simple and this was much better. At least I am not thinking that am looking damn cool. This is during my college days and I by now, I realized that plain glasses looked much better than any tinted ones. Ufff. Did it take so much time to understand this. Now I wanted to do something even messy. I tried the contact lens and its one real pain. Don’t even try unless your Girl Friend would reject you. I would suggest you rather breakup. Removing lens at night especially after you are smashed is very annoying. Don’t even try. I soon got back to my glasses and it’s much comfy.

I was quiet for a couple of years, not trying anything funny. Now it’s a time when I should not try anything new and luckily I went in for a simple frame that was rim-less. This is for my wedding and just went in for the red-eye elimination for the photo flashes. Yes. It worked and it helped. Again, I was quiet for almost 3 years and now I went in for my optician’s new showroom inauguration. I surely wanted to buy something since he has opened his new store.

I am one of those who always went crazy for sun-glasses. Here I am referring to the proper ones and not those damn bloody “day-night glasses”. I would have tried sun glasses a million times when ever I see them in a store. But when I wear them, I go more blind than I would normally be when I am without glasses. The reason being its made my vision dark and am already quarter blind. Since I could not pick a good frame in the inauguration of the store, I asked my optician if I can get a sun glass done for myself with my power correction in it. He was very optimistic and I choose one of the coolers there and he managed to do one. It looked good when I went to collect the piece. Next day when I was driving to work, I wore that. I hardly wore that for 5 minutes and I stopped my car by the side to wear my normal spectacles. I did not want to spend a fortune on repairing my car since it was so dark when i was wearing them. I managed hard to wear them for 5 minutes. Now I realize that I don’t like sun glasses.

3 comments:

Avi said...

I am the cousin Arjun has referred to in his post.

Just to clarify, I didn't break my spectacles intentionally to get a new pair. It was just that I was a real brat growing up and the safety of any inanimate object was the last of my concerns.

I have had my current pair of spectacles for over two years :).

Shalini said...

Nice post :-) Brought back some childhood memories of Anna and his spectacle adventures!
Tell me about being a stupid kid! When I was in the 6th standard I thought it was cool to wear glasses!

Nitty said...

understand the pain of wearing the boring glasses through out the life..
Better change to contact lenses and use Sun glasses :)